485 Visa Australia- Extend your stay after Graduation
Just completed a course in Australia as an international student? Want to stay in Australia longer to get a better education? With the 485 Temporary Graduate Visa, you can make this happen.
This type of visa is for international students like you who want to study at one of Australia’s colleges or universities. With this, you can stay in this country, study, and look for work right after you graduate.
What is 485 Visa Australia?
With the 485 Visa, also called a Temporary Graduate Visa, you can stay in Australia after you finish your studies and start a life there. There are two different types of visas:
- Graduate Work stream
- Post-Study Work stream.
You will have a different length of stay depending on your visa type. A few changes were made to the post-study work visa by the Australian government not too long ago.
If Covid-19 affected you and you were enrolled in any of the courses with an Australian institute of higher education, you could have relaxation now with 485 Visa new rules.
Eligibility Criteria for 485 Visa Australia
To be eligible for 485 visas, you must meet several requirements.
- You must be a student in Australia for at least the last 9 months
- At the time of processing, you must have a valid visa.
- You must have enough health insurance till the end of your visa.
- You’ve passed a bachelor’s degree, master’s degree, or doctorate that is on the (CRICOS) Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students.
- Your qualifications must either:
- Related to a job on the list of skilled occupations (Work Stream)
- Degree from an Australian institute (post-study Work Stream).
- Your age must be below 50 years
- It is mandatory to pass the English Competency Test.
- Must have taken the course for at least two years (92 weeks).
- There must have been at least 16 calendar months between the start of the course and its completion.
- You must file your Form 485 within six months of the date you finished your course.
- You may also need to get your skills and qualifications approved by an industry body.
Temporary Graduate 485 Visa New Rules
According to the Visa 485 new rules, For the coming 12 months anyone who has held a Student visa (Subclass 500) and met the Australian study criteria can apply for a 485 Temporary Graduate Visa without having to do a skills assessment or choose a job from the skilled occupation list.
The applicant must have passed the course criteria for a minimum of 2 years of study (92 weeks). These qualifications could be a degree, certificate, or diploma from a trade school.
The individual who desires to apply must also do so within six months of finishing the course.
Benefits of the 485 Visa Australia
The applicant is granted a 485 Visa Australia; they can enjoy many benefits.
To get a positive response for the 485 Visa, the individual must send in all the required information. If the application for a subclass 485 visa isn’t made right, it might not be approved.
After getting a subclass 485 Australia visa,
- The applicant and their family can come to Australia and live there for the time allowed.
- During this time, the applicant can go back and forth from Australia as often as they want.
- The individual can live in the country, study, and work there.
- The individual can apply for the PR in Australia.
485 Visa Australia- Processing Time
It depends on the stream that how long it will take to process. The Graduate Work Stream takes 10 to 12 months to process an application. And it takes between 9 and 11 months to process an application for the Post Study Work Stream.
How long are you allowed to stay in Australia with a 485 visa?
If you applied for your 485 Visa Australia through the Graduate Work Stream, the length of your visa could be 19 months from the time it was granted.
If you applied for a 485 graduate visa through the Post-Study Work Stream, you could get your visa for up to two to four years. The Temporary Graduate Visa is an excellent way to stay in Australia longer and increase your chances of getting a permanent or temporary skilled visa.
485 Visa Australia- Replacement Stream
Temporary Graduate visa holders who missed work in Australia because of COVID-19 travel restrictions can apply and get a 485 replacement Temporary Graduate visa between July 1, 2022, and January 1, 2027.
Before, people couldn’t extend their 485 graduate visas. With the 485 Visa new rules, ongoing or previous main aspirants of a 485 Graduate visa can now apply for this new replacement stream.
You will get the same stay time in Australia as your last visa.
To have a 485 Replacement Visa, you must,
- Request before January 1, 2027.
- Have had a relevant Graduate 485 Visa before 15th DEC, 2021.
- Your time has been wasted on this visa in Australia because of Covid-19 limitations on travel.
- Not have your 485 Visa or any visa you got after that one canceled unless you asked for it.
485 Visa Australia is a great option for students who wish to extend their stay in Australia after graduation. Additionally, it can be used to assist those seeking permanent residence.
The 485 post-study stream is the first step toward gaining a position and staying in Australia for 2-4 years. Your experience will also directly impact the skilled points tests for PR. Occupational guidelines must be followed.
If you hold a student visa in Australia and want to stay longer, apply for the 485 Visa Australia. Applying for a 485 Graduate Visa can be a challenging process for anyone. Contact us at The Migration if you need professional help.